Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Have you ever tried the Morningstar Farms or Boca fake meat crumbles (like ground beef)?

How was it?

I've bought some but I'm a little scared to try it!

Any good recipe/meal ideas?Have you ever tried the Morningstar Farms or Boca fake meat crumbles (like ground beef)?
I think its fine. Try starting with high flavor recipes first such as tacos, chili, spaghetti. I find if I do that first I don't notice a difference as much when I eat it plain.
Why are you scared to try it? Just use it in any recipe that would ordinarily call for cooked ground beef. If you're making a meatloaf or burgers, you'll want to thrown in an extra egg or two (if you are OK with that), to help it stick.Have you ever tried the Morningstar Farms or Boca fake meat crumbles (like ground beef)?
The Morningstar Farms sausage-style breakfast crumbles are one of my favorite faux meat products! I've made biscuits and gravy (veg-based, not meat-based, of course) with the sausage-style crumbles for guys who swore they hated "soy sh*t"... and the guys had no idea they weren't eating real sausage until I told them... Don't be scared to try something new with the products.



How about soft tacos with whole grain wraps, lasanga/manacotti with wheat pasta, tex-mex chili, shepard's pie, or my yummy bisuits and gravy!? Happy eating!
LIke Sweetea, I also like the Morningstar sausage crumbles: I made a whole wheat pizza with lots of bell peppers, olives, cheez and put the crumbles on, and it was delish! And its good protein as well, with less calories and fat calories.



My kids are basically heavy meat eaters, and when other veggie analogs (Big Franks, etc) make their stomachs upset, they cant tell the difference with the Morningstar stuff. That is my go-ahead to continue using that brand!



Have a Merry one!Have you ever tried the Morningstar Farms or Boca fake meat crumbles (like ground beef)?
I'm not a fan of Boca products, but I really like Morning Star products. I usually make spaghetti and heat the meat crumbles in some Prego sauce. You can also make a burrito with the crumbles and the sauce. Delicious!
I've tried them, but I also try to avoid using any of that processed stuff. Try some nice soy nuts or pine nuts instead. More healthy.
I haven't tried the crumbles but I do like many of the "burgers". I generally fry onions along with them. Seems to me it would be how you prepare and season the crumbles is what would make them the most enjoyable.

Go for it!
I agree with the others that say go for it...you cook the stuff by frying it a little bit in garlic and oil and then from there you decide to make it into ...lasagne, chili,italian with tomato sauce, bind it together to make burgers (soft tofu or lentils will bind without eggs), make a veggie gravy using yeast and top with mashed potato to make a cottage pie,make mousakka? really use your imagination...

personally I dont think the quality of these companies products is fabulous, personally I didnt think this was great when I bought it but yes it was 'fine' I much prefer quorn mince or I buy TVP granules or chunks..you can buy it in a health food shop..

Go for it and enjoy! :-)

lots of recipe links below
Sorry, I don't really like BOCA products. I've found great recipes to make my own veggie burgers or veggie crumbles from scratch... I find that you can control how much salt and fat goes into it that way, and you can make sure the ingredients you use are the quality you would want them to be. After all, BOCA is owned by Kraft Foods, which is owned by Philip Morris (cigarrete company, now going by the name Altria Group). Therefore I wouldn't expect such a massive corporation to put much consideration into the quality of the ingredients used to make their products.
well.. if you're used to soy means you should like them just fine..



I LOVE the Morning star ones..



I like to put the morning star farms crumbles in a non-stick skillet.. add TONS of BBQ sauce and just enough water to make the sauce a tad thinner.. get it all hot and bubbly and use it as an easy, tasty Sloppy Joe filler!!



Yes.. you can also mix it with a bunch of Taco seasoning (you know.. the powder in a pouch that's sold by the mexican food) and have yummy tacos!!
I LOVE the boca ground "beef". It's cheap (less than $3 at walmart) and can be used in so many recipes. The favorite at my house: vegan tacos. I've heard you can use it to make meatloaf, but I haven't tried yet. I usually use it in things, like pastas, casseroles, and tacos.
I use Boca products all the time. Use them in place of hamburger in any normal recipe - like chili, etc. Very tasty!
Yes! and it is terrible stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment